Tuesday 25 November 2014

chatting with Mr. Peacock at Walkers



How do you chat with a peacock? Yesterday I was at the Walkers Nurseries garden centre (those of you following on Instagram should be well familiar with that place by now). After enjoying a latte while reading a magazine, I grabbed my camera to walk among the plants. That's when I met this guy, Mr. Peacock, my new best friend in South Yorkshire.


He was just casually walking on the pavement towards me and I asked him what he was up to. He told me he was just chilling, and looking for a peahen, but perhaps something got lost in translation.


He wasn't exactly ready to stand still for a photo; he was more for walking rather fast straight towards the camera. Then he asked me to follow him so he could show me his bachelor pad.


That's Mr. Peacock in his home, inside Walkers Nurseries, showing off his beautiful feathers.


I snapped this photo when he told me to take a better look.


When I asked him how he spent his day, besides casually walking around in the hope of finding a peahen, he said he liked admiring himself in the mirror. Completely understandable!

Did you know that the average life span of peacocks is 20 years? I don't know how old Mr. Peacock is. I will remember to ask him next time.
photo credit:
Lisa Hjalt
- November day at Walkers Nurseries, Blaxton, Doncaster, South Yorkshire

7 comments:

  1. I loved your entertaining story. Nice to meet Mr. Peacock. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's quite a dandy, with his glorious feathers! I'm sure his post we'll help him find Mrs. Right! All the best, Rié

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found this on the Walkers Nurseries website and had to share for fun:

    "One of the favourite characters at Walker’s is Percy the Peacock, the rather flamboyant character who struts around the grounds, displaying his plumage and also making himself heard. But poor Percy hasn’t got a mate at the moment, and the other day he was discovered in Hannah’s potting area, in front of a huge mirror, and adoring himself in the reflection. Percy has obviously fallen deeply in love – with himself. Sadly, it is going to be an unrequited love affair!" http://www.walkersnurseries.tv/2677/news-and-events/gardening-news/perfect-percy/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I alvöru!! Vá hvað hann er fallegur!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stína, þessi fugl er hreint út sagt stórkostlegur og röltir bara um svæðið eins og ekkert sé (þetta er svona Blómavals-stemning nema bara mun stærra með görðum og kaffihúsi og náttúru allt um kring). Hann á sem sagt heima þarna, sem ég vissi ekki fyrr en í gær þegar ég fylgdi honum inn í eitt gróðurhúsið og sá hornið hans með speglinum. Ég þarf að spyrja starfsmennina nánar út í hvernig þetta byrjaði allt saman.

      Delete
  5. THIS WAS THE MOST ENLIGHTENING AND WONDERFUL STORY! That pic of him in the mirror is EVERYTHING! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shante. He found a girlfriend, her name is Emily ;-)

      Delete

Your comment appears on the blog after approval. Comments with commercial links are reported as spam.