Friday 12 April 2013

Space: a study room with black walls




Today's charming space is a study room in Beverly Hills (yes, that is a swimming pool in the background) that I like very much. Personally I would never go for a black painted wall or a room in my home but I find it very stylish, especially when it is well painted and paired with furniture and accessories that lighten up the space, as is the case here. The rug on the floor is perfect.

This room belongs to fashion designer Jenni Kayne and her family and was featured in Architectural Digest last autumn. Actually, I have posted the master bedroom from this same house on the blog. I remember seeing this room in the AD feature but there was something about the photo that didn't work for me. Then I came across this cropped version on the blog of Victoria of Vmac+cheese and loved it. The rest of the house is worth taking a look at so just follow the AD link below if you are interested.

Got any plans for the weekend? This week has flown by and I'm looking forward to a relaxing weekend. The weather is getting warmer and on Sunday they are predicting 18°C (64°F) degrees, which means that this girl will be taking her latte on the balcony. I will be in heaven when spring arrives properly.

photo credit:
Roger Davies for Architectural Digest via Vmac+cheese

6 comments:

  1. Very inspiring, Lisa. I am always impressed by the power of dark walls - especially from a colour perspective as they make the colours pop so much:-) Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guess what we are doing this weekend? Painting! :) Although it will be mainly Mr's job as he doesn't want me to be involved (I entertain the dog, so he doesn't run into the action field :) ), but yes, there will be plenty of painting in all shades of white.
    I adore black walls, too, only wouldn't find courage or the right place to go all black. We did have dark chocolate walls once if this counts at all. It was beautiful! And yes, you are right it's all about the perfect finish.
    Have a wonderful weekend, Lisa! Hope it's warm and sunny.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. The white ceiling and the furniture and accessories really lighten up this room. The black walls don't bother me at all. It's so stylish! We've had two glorious spring days and I hope the weather stays the same for a very long time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I usually prefer light colored walls, but sometimes it works well...in this case, very well. We actually have a dark brown formal living room that I questioned when we bought our home. The room has since "grown" on me and I love it. It shows off the furniture and accessories in a way that is very unique.

    So happy that you are seeing spring finally; enjoy it!!

    Lisa Xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the black walls. they work surprisingly well.

    spring arrived here as well. going to the farmer's market, the library and then for dinner with friends. happy weekend xxxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a perfect day!
      Happy spring ;-)

      Delete

Your comment appears on the blog after approval. Comments with commercial links are reported as spam.