Friday 20 April 2012

danish editorial & raf simons to dior


The editorial you're looking at is called 'Breathless' in English and appeared last autumn in MS, which is a fashion and lifestyle magazine published every Sunday with the Danish newspaper Berlingske. I've kept it in my inspiration folder all this time and it's about time I share it with you. I'm especially fond of the three photos above. The models are Julie Mikkelsen and Martin Sobral, styled by Ann-Mari Klæstrup Jagd and photographed by Morten Germund. (For those of you interested in photography you may want to take a look at the portfolio of this Danish talent. He was recently awarded by POYi as the second best newspaper photographer of the year for his work for Berlingske, which he has now left to work freelance.)


Raf Simons to Dior
By now most of you interested in fashion know that the Belgian designer Raf Simons has been appointed the artistic director of Dior and will present his first collection for them in July at the Haute Couture Week in Paris. I meant to talk about this last Friday but as we were on the road a lot I decided to skip all extra links.

Because of my hard drive crash earlier this spring I never did a post on the Milan Fashion Week and I find it much too late to write one now. However, I cannot leave out Raf Simons's final collection for Jil Sander, the beautiful AW12-13 collection he showed in Milan last February. At the end of the show he received a standing ovation and the moment was very emotional (short video). Below are close-ups of some of the outfits that impressed me.


One of my favourite bloggers, Garance Doré, wrote in her post after the final show that "everybody says he's going to Dior." Her man Scott Schuman of The Sartorialist mentioned the possibility in a post in December.

In light of what has happened it's interesting to read again Hamish Bowles's review of the collection for Vogue US, who described it as "elegant, nuanced, and thoughtful as the designer himself," and added that Simons's "final show for the house of Jil Sander proved an exquisite coda to his remarkable career." In another paragraph he wrote: "In this collection, Simons has continued his engagement with the style of those iconic “haute couture” ladies and their lifestyles and couturiers that have intrigued him for several seasons. The strapless or off-the-shoulder evening dresses, with their full, swinging skirts of origami complexity, for instance, evoked the midcentury masterworks of Charles James, Christian Dior, and Jacques Fath." [black text, mine]

I guess there was something in the air and probably there were some people who knew more than others. I don't know about you but I cannot wait to see his first haute couture collection for Dior. I think it'll be quite something.


Finally, here are a few fashion related links just for fun: 

  Kate Moss shines in the TV commercial for MANGO Spring 2012
  Carrie of WishWishWish was in Antwerp and shared a few fabulous posts, my favourite was 'Clowning Around'
  Chiara of The Blonde Salad wore this yellow MSGM coat that I found pretty awesome
  If you're into Hollywood wardrobe I think you should take a look at the latest fashion in film post of Ada of Classiq

Have a fabulous Friday!

photo credit:
1-8, editorial: Morten Germund for Berlingske MS via Fri.dk
9, Raf Simons: Garance Doré
10-13, Jil Sander AW12-13 close-ups: Marcio Madeira for Vogue US

12 comments:

  1. Those photos are beautiful, love the black and white! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so curious to see the creations of the Raf Simons 'era' at Dior...

    BTW, I just read your guest post at Rachel's and I loved it! As I said in my comment there, I really liked how you described your passion for coffee and it's so nice to discover that we share the habit of re-reading Jane Austen novels...

    I wish you a nice w-e (even if the rain does not seem to leave us anytime soon...)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That first image is stunning!
    I was very excited to hear that Raf was going to Dior; and I was collecting images for a post of that very thing too! The black dress with the interesting bust detail and the fawn/rose felt coat were images that instantly looked Dior-ised for me! There was also a winter collection (2010 I think) where he did alot of woollen checks and tweeds that reminded me of Dior also. Can't wait to see what the new seasons looks will be. Hope you're having a great Friday! :)x

    ReplyDelete
  4. The *Latin Lover* makes me smile!

    The fashion is great!

    ♥ Franka

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, gorgeous editorial photography.
    x kat

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa, you know I'm waiting for your fashion Fridays the entire week? You always have something new to share. That was one beautiful collection, Raf Simons' last collection for Jil Sander, my favourite along with Haider Ackermann's. The influence of Dior in his designs seems even more striking now that we know he's the new artistic director of the fashion house. Off to check out your links. Thank you for the mention. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing editorial! I love the compositions and the drama the images exude. The first 3 images are spectacular.

    Happy weekend!
    rolala loves

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful editorial! I love these images :)

    Kate {Something Fabulous}
    http://thesomethingfabulous.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are all so cinematic. I really like them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful editorial Lisa. I too wait with baited breath for Raf's first collection for Dior. Imagine the pressure of Haute Couture first up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh so beautiful! The first pic has such a dreamy, painterly quality. Hope you had a fantastic weekend Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Never seen this before - it is beautiful - I adore the way it is photographed - thanks for sharing some danish with a dane:)
    Happy last bit of weekend to you,
    Ax

    ReplyDelete

Your comment appears on the blog after approval. Comments with commercial links are reported as spam.