Sunday 30 October 2011

cafés & magazines


I've been enjoying a very relaxing Sunday that started with freshly baked cinnamon buns and hot chocolate from Green & Black's. After that we relaxed with books and magazines. Our daughters were invited to a friend's house where they'll spend the night and have some Halloween fun. So, the three of us, i.e. the two men in my life and I, decided to check out another part of the city instead of going to a café in the city centre. We headed further north and went to ZUM, a café that opened last summer, very close to Park Spoor Noord. There has been much renovation in the area (the park is new) and it's said the Noord is the new up-and-coming neighbourhood in Antwerp. We had never been at ZUM before and I can highly recommend the place (I'll grab my camera with me next time). Of course I got latte and then I enjoyed a very good and fresh salmon sandwich – yummy.

Last Friday I did what I meant to do, got me the November issue of Vogue Paris. Well, when we told our boy to get ready he said to me: "Mum, you have plenty of magazines already!" That kid is smart ... way too smart! Of course I have plenty, especially after I got the stack from my aunt, but I wanted a new fashion magazine and something to practice my French, which pretty much sucks. I also got the November issue of the Belgian Elle Decoration, also in French. I haven't bought it before and I must say that I'm impressed. It'll take me quite some time to read through it, but it's filled with beautiful design and interesting stuff. Accompanying it was the first issue of Brussels Mag, a very trendy magazine, in French too, that was recently launched. It has e.g. a short piece on Diane von Furstenberg, who, in case you didn't know, was born in Brussels. The little guy got a Spiderman magazine and hubby got a cruising boat magazine so everyone was mag-happy.

And then something wonderful happened: I tasted the best latte I've ever tasted in my entire latte life! I'm not kidding. There is a place on Hopland street in Antwerp centre called Caffènation. Oh my god, the coffee they make is simply out-of-this-world good! It's a very raw place; it's all about the coffee. I'll photograph it later, I promise, because I'm definitely going there again and again and again. So, if you find yourself in Antwerp and you are serious about your coffee, this is the place to visit to get your caffeine fix.

I hope this Sunday has been treating you nicely!

photo credit: LatteLisa


9 comments:

  1. Sounds so nice with all your trips round Antwerp ;o)
    Today I went to cinema with our two youngsters to see Smurfs ;o) - and what I didn't know was - that it is cinema day today - which means tickets for half price.
    And MANY others went to the cinema today - too many ;o)
    But we survived ;o)) and now relaxing ;o)
    Have a nice sunday evening ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caffenation has to be on my list if/when I'll ever get a chance to visit Antwerp :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha - well I can relate, I´m a magazine junkie! There´s just something so nice about flipping through them. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss good Caffe Latte. I love to buy magazine-s too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't think of a more beautiful way of spending your Sunday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Caffenation is definitely the best place for coffee here in Antwerp. I love its slightly dilapited atmosphere! Rob, the owner, is also known for training and supporting lots of young people starting out with their own coffee bars (such as Coffee and Vinyl, La Chascona, Broers Bretel, etc). They all serve Rob's coffee beans which are the best! We buy our beans at Caffenation and grind them at home. Worth giving it a try!

    x E.

    ReplyDelete
  7. been wanting to try caffénation for a while and will now after your latte recommendation, will you join me? Iris @ yummyblogsisters

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a nice day - family time, Vogue Paris (did you like it?) and green & blacks. The good life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It really did sound like the perfect sunday xx

    http://fashionandfrank.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Your comment appears on the blog after approval. Comments with commercial links are reported as spam.